March Madness: Dallas Cowboys Draft Pick Style (Final Four)
In the Elite Eight of our Cowboys draft pick March Madness, we narrowed the field of potential selections to just four. Unlike the Sweet 16, the Elite Eight featured no upsets. And now for the Final Four and Championship.
Remember, match-up “winners” are not necessarily the best choice for Dallas, but those which we consider most likely among the two.
- The Cowboys are in a bit of a pickle in that they need an upgrade at left tackle, but depth at guard. Do they address the tackle position that currently has good depth with Adams, Free, Colombo, and Brewster? Or do they take an interior linemen who will likely sit behind Gurode, Kosier, and Davis in 2010 simply for depth purposes? If they select the latter in the first round of the upcoming draft, expect it to be either Iupati or Pouncey. In a bit of a shocker, we are going with Pouncey due to his versatility and a higher probability of being available.
- Winner: 5 Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
11 Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
- We really like both of these players as options for Dallas. Both Wilson and Odrick are a bit under-the-radar, but we believe they would be good fits in Dallas. The Cowboys are pretty solid at cornerback, but Wilson’s return ability increases his value. Odrick was a DT at Penn State but would transition to the five-technique (defensive end) for Dallas. Ultimately, we see Odrick as a more likely selection due to the abundance of top-notch returners that Dallas could secure later in the draft.
- Winner: 2 Jared Odrick, DT/DE, Penn State
- Perhaps surprising to some is the notable absence of both a safety and an offensive tackle in our Championship (and even in our Final Four). Dallas could certainly benefit from upgrades at both positions, but we just do not see the value being there at pick #27. At this point, we see the most likely selection at each spot being USF safety Nate Allen and Maryland tackle Bruce Campbell. We believe both Pouncey and Odrick represent better value than either of those prospects.
- With the 27th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select. . . . . Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida!
We had Pouncey as the Cowboys’ selection in our latest Cowboys-only Mock Draft. In that mock, we said: “A lot of mocks have Idaho guard Mike Iupati as the Cowboys’ selection at #27, but we believe they will value the versatility of Pouncey. If Iupati is still on the board, it will be interesting to see who Dallas has rated higher. Some scouts believe Pouncey is a top 15 talent. He would likely come in and be the immediate backup to both starting guards and center Andre Gurode.”
Dallas missed out on a versatile lineman they coveted last season in Oregon’s Max Unger. History will not repeat itself in 2010.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.