Stock Up, Stock Down

Mel Kiper thinks Florida C/G Maurkice Pouncey and Texas S Earl Thomas are rising, which cannot be good news for Dallas if true. However, Kiper believes Rutgers OT Anthony Davis could drop to the back of the first round. It would be difficult for the Cowboys to pass on a top-tier tackle at pick 27.

Interestingly, Kiper says Florida LB Brandon Spikes will fall into the 5th or 6th round. We think the kid has first round-esque game tape. He is the anti-Taylor Mays–a player who works out poorly but can just play football. He could represent the greatest value of any player in the draft should he fall into day three.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y46LokpF7Tc&feature=player_embedded]

14 Responses to Stock Up, Stock Down

Where did Kiper come from? I don’t really care for Mel.

2. jongb35 says:

We prefer Mike Mayock. Anyone but Todd McShay. What about you?

3. MJ Thrill says:

I think its a little give and take. Sometimes you have the workout warriors who can’t play, and then you have the over acheivers…Spikes had a horrible 40, but doesn’t mean he can’t play. We don’t need him to run 4.5….as long as he can tackle and recognize coverages. I love the OT from Rutgers, if he sleeps he’d be a perfect fit.

4. jongb35 says:

I agree. If they can somehow land both Davis and Spikes late, it almost doesn’t matter what the other picks are–Dallas would have had a good draft.

Kiper’s an idiot. Spikes record says he is a player. The SEC is the toughest around too. I agree, those two would make me happy.

6. Omar says:

Spikes blows in pass coverage, so I can see why he’s getting moved down given the movement of pass-happy offenses. He should be a good 34 LB though, better in pass coverage than Brooking likely is…he’d be a TREMENDOUS day three for anyone who drafts him. Furthermore, what’s with the McShay hate? I like his analysis much more than anyone else on TV, his mock drafts blow since he doesn’t have the dope that guys like Kiper has, but his scouting and player evaluations are the shit.

7. jongb35 says:

Yeah and with Spikes possibly falling so far (although I still don;t see him getting out of the 3rd honestly), it would leave room for other impact players–a returner, a safety, etc.

8. jongb35 says:

I just feel like McShay just takes what other experts say and changes it slightly to look different. IMO, he doesn’t even compare to Mayock in terms of prep work/film study and overall football intelligence.

9. Omar says:

Oh, McShay watches more film than anyone not named Jawarski on that network. It’s been a while since I’ve watched Mayock, but looking through his top 20, there’s quite a few problems. There’s no way that Suh isn’t better than McCoy, I know people like McCoy’s extra pass rushing moves, but Suh’s stats were better against the passrush and Suh demolishes him in terms of stopping the run. Dez Bryant 3rd is way too high IMO, same with Thomas ahead of Berry. There’s players that I feel McShay overrates, mainly Jason Pierre Paul. Read McShay’s column on properly valuing draft prospects…it’s incredible.

10. jongb35 says:

I will check that out.

11. Omar says:

There’s the link. I’m a pretty big baseball fan (like it way more than I like the NFL) so I’ve been used to an empirical analysis of sports and taking a thinking man’s view point. Here McShay takes a Moneyballesque look at the draft, it’s not as in depth as it should be, but again this is ESPN.com, not FootballOutsiders they have a mainstream audience to pander too…overall I like what he has to say.

12. jongb35 says:

Good stuff. I am a big fan of Moneyball and sabermetrics and I think it has its place in football. If you are into that kind of stuff, check out AdvancedNFLStats.com. Awesome info done in a sabermetrics-inspired way.

13. Omar says:

Yeah, I like that quite a bit more than what you’ll typically hear. Granted not everything in football can be quantified, but quite a bit of it can. Mad Kellerman used to host a radio program on 1050 ESPN in New York, he had a segment called “TFAG” for Typical Football Analyst Guy where someone would parody the typical football analysis that you’ll see on TV like “Nose for the endzone,” “knows how to win,” and just about anything involving Brett Favre.

14. jongb35 says:

Yeah there are a ton of misnomers out there. Even things like “Rushing the ball and playing defense wins in the playoffs” or “it is too early to go for a 2-pt conversion.”