Cowboys News and Notes: 5/3/10 (Dez Bryant, Michael Irvin)
- Rookie Dez Bryant injured his ankle at the end of mini-camp.
The team had him sit out sprints as a precaution, but this doesn’t appear to be anything serious.
- Wade Phillips said Bryant is one of the best rookies he has ever seen in his 33 years of coaching.
This is pretty remarkable. Overall, Bryant had an outstanding camp, making incredible catches and displaying top-notch body control. The only concern was his conditioning (which is the case for most rookies), but that will come in time.
- While others saw Bryant’s poor conditioning as a problem, Michael Irvin said the fact that Bryant worked hard enough to throw up is “great.”
We aren’t sure how “great” it is to puke, but it certainly isn’t as big of a deal as some seem to believe.
Dez Bryant Interview
- Speaking of Irvin, he delivered a “powerful speech” to the Cowboys’ rookies.
Irvin is perhaps the best motivator in team history, so hopefully what he had to say sank in for the rooks.
Expect Bryant to begin the season as the team’s primary return man, with AOA eventually taking over as Bryant’s offensive duties increase.
- The Cowboys are getting younger across the board.
The defense in particular is quite young. Let’s hope the Cowboys can find the replacements of the aging offensive linemen in the near future.