Cowboys OTA News and Notes: 5/17/10 (Patrick Crayton, Roy Williams, Dez Bryant)
- Patrick Crayton and Marcus Spears were absent for the first day of Cowboys’ OTA’s (Organized Team Activities).
Stephen Jones said the club knew Spears would be away due to a scheduling conflict (what, does he have a second job?). Crayton’s absence, however, is likely tied to his disappointment in his current role with the team. His agent said he will attend future voluntary workouts and all mandatory practices.
- Both Dez Bryant and Roy Williams reportedly “wowed” the coaches during the first practice.
Williams has apparently regained his swagger, telling owner Jerry Jones “I’m back” after making an outstanding catch along the sideline. Even Mike Jenkins said, “Roy came out on fire today. That’s the best I’ve seen Roy since he got here.”
- Speaking of William’s confidence, he said he and Romo are like “Montana and Rice” this offseason.
Williams also mentioned he has embraced the addition of rookie Dez Bryant and the subsequent competition. We wrote an article a few days ago on this topic.
- Kyle Kosier, not Montrae Holland or Travis Bright, is being targeted as the primary backup to center Andre Gurode.
We aren’t sure how we feel about a current starter being the primary backup at another position, as the loss of Gurode would then affect two positions. The Cowboys will likely have all three players (Kosier, Holland, and Bright) battle it out in camp.
- SI’s Peter King has the Cowboys ranked just 10th in his Preseason Power Rankings, behind the New York Giants.
We will let you guys comment on this one.