Report: Wade Phillips fired, Jason Garrett new Dallas Cowboys head coach

According to CBS correspondent Bill Jones, the Cowboys have fired head coach Wade Phillips and replaced him with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.  This seemed like the most likely move after the Cowboys’ loss last night in Green Bay.  Garrett will now have half a season to prove he is worthy of remaining the head coach in 2011.

I welcome the change, although I’m not sure you’ll see radically different results from Dallas.  Garrett will still be calling the offensive plays obviously.  The new defensive coordinator is still a mystery, although Dave Campo and Paul Pasqualoni seem to be the two candidates.  You might see minor schematic changes on defense with Phillips out, but nothing major.

In my opinion, Garrett will leave Big D next season with the implementation of a new coaching staff.  Too much has to be altered to justify his stay.  Of course, he has eight games to prove me wrong.

15 Responses to Report: Wade Phillips fired, Jason Garrett new Dallas Cowboys head coach

1. Omar says:

The right move.

2. Vince Grey says:

Damn, I was in the middle of writing an article that touched on this very topic, as well as some other things, but that’s ok. I’ll still post it soon.

Bottom line, it’s a move that had to be made for now, though I agree he’s likely not the long term solution.

Certainly, he can’t fix the defense unless they turn these guys loose, i.e. the Jets. Maybe he’ll cut Mike Jenkins, which I think is move one. Get rid of a disinterested tackler and send a message that poor play will not be tolerated. They won’t do it, but it would be a great move if they did.

3. JJ says:

This is the move in which I had hoped. Not because I think the Cowboys will win more games necessarily but will allow to things to happen. First, to change what has become a stale landscape. And, second, to really see what Jason Garrett can do. I think it’s only fair in this lost season to see how Jason really thinks and acts as a coach. I never really felt there was great chemistry between Garrett and Wade, however, we are all kidding ourselves if we think Garrett will choose interim defensive coordinator.

Anyway, this is Garrett’s audition for the Cowboys and other teams. I’d also like to see Coach P lead the defense. We’ve seen Camp’s bend but don’t break D…maybe Coach P can be lend a different voice.

If for anything else, it gives the fans something to talk about other than continued drubbings.

4. JJ says:

Looks like Coach P is going to coach the D.

I hope we don’t end up wishing Wade was still the man. In the current state of affairs I doubt we will. Even though Wade had clearly lost this team, you still have to wonder about the level of professionalism of some players. Professionals do their job regardless. Josh Ellis actually wrote an intriging article concerning how Wade had been betrayed by some of the players. It is true that the same coaching style had produced two division championships in the last three years. So for me there is just a hint of “I wonder”. I also have been calling for Wade’s dismissal, so now I/We have it. The thought crossed my mind has this defense and it’s coach been responsible for our scoring woes. You know, because of a lot of long fields. Furthermore, has this offense made this defense look better by driving 40 to 60 yards and bailing the D out somewhat. One thing is likely, we are about to find out. I for one think this is the right move and at the latest possible moment. I thought it was obvious two weeks ago that Wade had lost the team. At any rate this will give us the chance to see if Garrett has anything in him, worth keeping. I also hope he will sit some guys and play others. Let the auditions begin. As a ending thought it has beeen well documented here by JB, about Garrett’s predictability. I expect a lot of that to stay the same. It will be interesting to see what kind of lineup changes occur. The question is has Wade’s style been holding Garrett back? Here we go!

6. Vince–there’s no way they can cut Jenkins. I see your logic that it is addition by subtraction–subtract Jenkins now and the other players will notice and step up, but the move would set the Cowboys back too far in 2011 to be worth it, IMO.

JJ–Yup, Coach P will lead the D. I, like you, hope to see more aggressive play, more risk-taking from this defense.

John–You raise a bunch of interesting points. I think some of the players did betray Phillips. Jenkins’ effort this past week was a slap in the face to Wade. You’re right that professionals are self-motivated. Not many Cowboys seem to be self-motivated anymore. They’ve become too comfortable.

And I can’t wait to see if JG will change the lineup at all. I’m not sure we’ll see many changes, though, because JG was basically the head coach of the offense already. If he wanted Barber out, it would have happened. We’ll see how he proceeds, but I am of course rooting for him (although I still don’t think he’s ready for 2011).

7. JJ says:

Enjoyed John’s points.

I love reading how all the writers seem to know what Jerry is thinking. Frankly, I personally think Jason laid low not to undermine Wade. I don’t know if Jason is the answer but he seems to fit the bill of the type of coach Jonathan spoke of a few weeks ago. Intelligent. Poised. Focused. Also, he has a hard nosed coach running the D. I’m hoping can cross over and really be the HEAD coach and get involved with defense instead of just deferring.

While not exactly sure how to measure Garrett’s progress, I suppose we’ll see it in the player’s execution. Garrett is a coach with a plan though. When asked a few years back if he had a staff in mind when interviewing as a head coaching a candidate, he stated that he did and that Dom Capers would be his D Coordinator prior to Green Bay making the call. Good thinking there Jason.

I still feel there is a potential gap with player evaluation but Jason has his hands full Sunday and that is quite a rude awakening.

8. chris stallcup says:

i think we should bench barber to awaken whats left of the “barbarian”. I personally think tashard choice is the best back out of the three, but garrett wont play him because I heard that choice said something in an interview slightly criticizing garrett. I mean i know our oline is crap, but why dont we run a zone blocking scheme? it would make it a bit easier on the oline.

9. Vince Grey says:

JB – Come again? Just why CAN’T they cut Jenkins? Would it be a bold move? You bet. Short term, long term, I see no real downside here. Exactly what this team needs. Why keep a guy who obviously has absolutely no interest whatsoever in making a tackle? Because he can cover some? Even in that respect, I would rate him no better than “above average”. Certainly not great by any means.

You telling me we can’t find a corner with at least above-average cover skills who will make a tackle? I simply can’t accept that. I’m not saying a new coaching staff with a far more intense, aggressive, scheme wouldn’t turn some of these guys around, but I can’t see Jenkins EVER being more than a ok-at-best tackler with decent cover skills. If we can’t replace that, then we need to stop playing football.

10. JJ–Garrett is the TYPE of coach I would like, and I HOPE he actually turns into the ACTUAL coach I want. Right now, he makes too many mistakes as an OC, although he’s improved vastly this year in becoming less predictable. I know he’s a stat-oriented, precise, aggressive coach, though, which is what I love. Good luck JG.

Chris– I think Barber she sit as well. We don’t run a zone blocking scheme because the linemen (other than Free) aren’t agile enough. This is a man blocking O-line through and through.

Vince–Jenkins has well above-average cover skills, IMO, when he’s at his best. That obviously hasn’t been the case this season, but he was a true Pro Bowl players last year. I agree the coaches need to make an example out of someone, but that’s not the guy. If they cut everyone who gave poor effort over the last few weeks they’d have about a five-man team. If they released Jenkins and Newman gets hurt, who is going to start next year? A rookie and Scandrick? AOA? Bryan McCann?

11. JJ–Garrett is the TYPE of coach I would like, and I HOPE he actually turns into the ACTUAL coach I want. Right now, he makes too many mistakes as an OC, although he’s improved vastly this year in becoming less predictable. I know he’s a stat-oriented, precise, aggressive coach, though, which is what I love. Good luck JG.

12. Brett says:

Scandrick and Ball are top two on my list of cuts. just my opinion. Two soft, no heart, get pushed around. Gotta keep Jenkins although he has struggled he is above average for a 2nd year corner. People forget other team do more with less. I truly believe the lack of leadership has hurt this team a lot. Dont know if Garrett is the answer (doubt it) but happy about the move.

With all of the Jenkins discussion, I have a question? Is he playing hurt? Seems to me he had a shoulder issue a few weeks back. I’m not saying he has ever been a great tackler, but I seem to remember he was willing. As for cutting him, I think not. He was a good player last season. In fact, he was our best DB. I want to see more with a different coach. BTW, I’m not sold on Campo either. He was surely a terrible talent evaluator and head coach. He has been a question mark for me all along. I’m willing to wait til next years camp on a Jenkins decision, unless we can trade for picks. I would be willing to deal him for sure, but not outright cut. We need something in return. One thought on JG, he was around, for some of the years that we had a winning formula. I’m hoping he was being the good assistant and doing things Wade’s way and NOW good changes are coming. He needs to be evaluated as well and this is the perfect chance. Don’t give me the Missing Romo song and dance. Kitna is no world beater but he is capable of winning games. Look at Pittsburgh at the beginning of the year. Others must step up and make up for Kitna’s shortcomings. Garrett won a few games in a similar situation.

14. John–I wouldn’t even trade Jenkins for picks, unless it was a first-rounder, which would never happen. I wonder if you’re on to something about him being hurt. I know he has shied away from tackles before, and there is NO reason for not tackling, but perhaps the injury/nightmare season combo is adding up.

15. Vince Grey says:

JB – Well, let me ask you this: What if Jenkins continues to basically refuse to tackle? Are you willing to live with that for the next several years?

You rate his cover skills higher than I do, but I think we both agree he’s no where near Revis or Asomugha in that respect, right?

Do you honestly believe we can be a successful playoff team with a wussy player at corner? Do you think the rest of the defense will play and tackle hard while letting this guy get by with shying away from contact?

BTW, I don’t think he’s hurt at all. I think he’s just one of the guys who have quit. I despise quitters.