Tyron Smith: “The Cowboys want me to play left tackle.”

In Tyron Smith’s conference call with the Dallas media, he said the Cowboys told him they want him to be their left tackle of the future.  It seemed as though the Cowboys drafted Smith to play right tackle, at least in 2011, but Smith’s answer may have raised some questions.  There is no doubt that Smith’s body type and skill set are probably a better fit for the left side of the line, but he did play right tackle at USC.  Plus, Doug Free, despite a few struggles, played fairly well at left tackle in 2010.

But don’t rule out the possibility of Smith and Free “switching” positions, even as soon as this season.  Remember that Free played well on the right side in limited action in 2009.  With Smith’s size and athleticism, it isn’t unreasonable to think that the Cowboys want to get him to the left side as soon as possible, even if it means moving Free back to right tackle.

Personally, I think Smith has All-Pro ability on either side of the line, but his future is at left tackle.  I really believe he has the potential to be one of the best left tackles in the league.  Let’s take a look at some more of his game film. . .

I think the Cowboys should play Smith at right tackle in 2011.  He is comfortable there now, and it will give him time to get acclimated to the NFL before moving to the more difficult left tackle position in subsequent years.  That’s not to say that Free is not or should not be part of the Cowboys’ plans in 2012 and beyond.  He’s a very capable offensive tackle who could become one of the best in the league. . .on the right side.

12 Responses to Tyron Smith: “The Cowboys want me to play left tackle.”

1. willis says:

the one thing I don’t understand is why he uses the chop block so much. Is that a USC thing?

2. Willis–Yeah, that would be something they coached him to do. Won’t see as much of that in Dallas, obviously.

3. bW says:

Jerry said in his presser that Tyron was penciled in at right.

4. willis says:

lol, I would hope not for Tony’s sake.

BW – saw that, but you have to think for a tackle drafted a no. 9 they have plns down the line for the left side. but for now, goodbye colombo!

Part of me would like to see another olineman drafted, but in reality we had one of th worst defenses in the NFL last year, and we really need to improve on that side of the ball. aaron williams, Harris, Ellis. And thinking Dalton, Bowers and Houston will be picked ahead of us, i’m hoping there’s a good chance one of those players will be there.

I sure hope you’re correct, JB, about Smith’s potential All-Pro tackle and/or one of the best in the leauge on either side but I just don’t see it. I think Smith’s ceiling could be ELITE but I give him about 5% chance of doing so for more than one year. I project him to be somewhere between average and solid for his career – not really what I think a #9 pick should be but given the need the Cowboys have and the lack of a better draft option, I’m good w/ him being the selection.

6. Scott says:

I tend to agree that it makes most sense to start him off at RT since that’s where’s he’s comforable and experienced, and that’s where our big hole is, with Free as a solid LT. We’re in good position to not need him on the left side right away. But in the long term, it certainly makes sense to at least hold an open competition, and let the best LT player play LT.

7. bW says:

I kind of understand the thinking of eventually putting him on the Left side since its typically regarded as the most important but it seems to me in general there is a lot more movement these days with the lineman/backers.
    At least it seemed that there were times teams rushed their best guy on colombo’s side because he was obviously weaker rather than the left where they usually do.

I understand since he’s picked at 9 he better start…and I’m fine with that, but I want him to prove he can beat out Free on the left and not just give it to him. I thought free did well against some of the best rushers out there.

8. Rick says:

They better not put him at left tackle as a rookie unless he seriously earns it.

Bottom line is, we supposedly have two OT’s who can play, and that’s certainly more than we could say last year.

I agree that Smith shouldn’t just be handed the LT position, unless for some reason Free WANTS to go back to the right side. Could be he feels more comfortable there.

10. Ben says:

Jerrah is a smart dude. He’s using psedo code. What he meant was he’s sending a message to Free’s agent and representation that Doug Free will will be paying you as a Right Tackle not a left… Haagahahah. Jerry, Jerry. You’re a smart businessman.

I still like the pick and think LT ability is precisely why he was valued so high.

Smith gives us our LT backup, that we did not have, and enables us to say goodbye to Columbo. Saying bye to Columbo was the #1 priority in this draft IMO.

I too, believe this guy will be among the leagues best for years. He’s only 20 and hasn’t even matured into his MAN frame yet. He could end up being 330 to 340 easy. I think 320 would be a good target for him career wise. With continued coaching and improvement, given his wingspan and athleticism, the sky is the limit.

12. Pingback: Dallas Cowboys Free Agent, Roster Analysis: Who Will Play Free Safety? | Dallas Cowboys Times