Who should Cowboys select in second round?

The Cowboys did as everyone expected and addressed the offensive line in the first round by selecting USC’s Tyron Smith.  My initial reactions are all positive, and I can tell you now I will give the selection an “A” in my post-draft grades.  But who should the ‘Boys be targeting in the second round tomorrow night?  Well, here are the top players left from my personal Big Board, along with their original rankings. . .

9. Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
45. Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton
46. Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
47. Rodney Hudson, G, FSU
48. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
49. William Rackley, G, Lehigh
51. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

You can see there are plenty of talented players left on the board.  Ijalana, Harris, Austin, Williams and Moore all play positions of major need for Dallas (I’m thinking of Ijalana at guard).  Here are a few things to watch tomorrow night with the Cowboys’ 40th overall selection:

• If Ijalana is still on the board, will the team’s first-round selection of Tyron Smith force them to pass on Ijalana?  Even though the Villanova lineman could potentially kick inside to guard, the ‘Boys probably want to address defense next.
  • Will the Cowboys select a player at a position that is not immediate need simply because of value?  Justin Houston, Martez Wilson, Akeem Ayers and Brooks Reed are all unlikely, but still names to watch.
  • Will the Cowboys view either Marvin Austin or Stephen Paea as potential 3-4 nose tackles?  I still think the defense could benefit from acquiring a true nose tackle, so their assessment of those players could be interesting.  I think Austin is capable of playing the nose, but I think Paea’s skill set makes him a better fit as a three-technique.  Also don’t rule out Kenrick Ellis.
  • There are no top five-technique players left on the board, unless you view Drake Nevis as a candidate to move to defensive end in a 3-4.  I think he is a three-technique, but Dallas might jump on him if they disagree.
  • Will DaQuan Bowers’ potential value at No. 40 intrigue Dallas?  Even without the medical concerns, I think Bowers is a poor fit in Dallas, so let’s hope they don’t fall for the trap.
  • It is looking likely that either Aaron Williams or Rahim Moore will be on the board for the ‘Boys.  Both would upgrade the safety position, but will the team wait on possibly signing a veteran in free agency?
  • Before the draft, I gave you names to watch for the Cowboys in each round.  In the second, I listed Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward, Alabama OT James Carpenter, Baylor G Danny Watkins, UCLA FS Rahim MooreKenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton, TCU QB Andy Dalton.  The first three players are off the board, but all three of the latter players are still possible.  You should all be praying Dalton gets selected before the Cowboys are on the clock.

Personally, I think the Cowboys should give a long, hard look at both Brandon Harris and Marvin Austin.  Both represent great value and the depth at cornerback and defensive tackle is weak.  There are solid players like free safety Marcus Gilchrist and tackle/guard William Rackley who could still be available for Dallas in the third, so I don’t think they need to reach on a safety if defensive end if they don’t have one rated highly.  If I had to guess the likelihood of some of the top prospects to get selected by Dallas in the second round, it would be as follows:

• Brandon Harris: 6 percent
  • Marvin Austin: 10 percent
  • Ben Ijalana: 4 percent
  • Aaron Williams: 8 percent
  • Rahim Moore: 35 percent
  • DaQuan Bowers: 1 percent
  • Kenrick Ellis: 12 percent
  • Other: 24 percent (yes, EXACTLY 24 percent!!)

11 Responses to Who should Cowboys select in second round?

1. Rick says:

There’s so much talent available. I would want Reed, Williams, or Harris, though.

On the contrary, there’s so LITTLE talent available…

I like the Tyron Smith pick but would’ve been happier w/ a trade down. All good though. A RT is definitely what was needed although I don’t figure Smith to be anything greater than solid.

Next pick needs to be a FS, CB or NT (ellis). I’m thinking Dallas is looking at Ijalana or Martez Wilson but FS is the next need.

3. willis says:

why coudn’t Paea be a DE. He is a solid pass rusher, and it could help beef up our line. Just a thought.

Like the Tyrone Smith pick, but agree I would have rather seen a trade down scenario, my guess is they tried and couldn’t get what they wanted which is why they took so long to make the selection.

4. chris stallcup@gmail.com says:

Actually I hope they pass on moore I have a feeling he’s gonna fall to the third. Id much rather have harris

5. Jonny Danger says:

I was thrilled Gabbert fell I thought for sure we were going to get a solid trade down but it never came. I’m very happy we have Tyron but yet I can’t help but feel slightly let down we couldn’t move down to get a few more picks. I was thrilled with Dez pick last year though this time around I felt like something was missing when I heard his name called. Even though I know it may have been the best pick for us.

I would really like to see Aaron Williams fall to us if not Id prefer someone like K.Ellis, M.Wilson or B.Harris. Really want J.Houston but I highly doubt we get him nor would it be a wise pick I suppose. If we don’t go safety in the 2nd Ill have my fingers crossed for Gilchrist in the 3rd.

I agree with Tyrone. Ty Smith will be a starter and hopefully be solid.
    At #9, we needed something better than solid. We could have gotten solid at #20.
    Hopefully Austin is still there.
    Moore is OK for the S that we need but I do not see special. I see starter and that is about it.
    Maybe they will go OL for #1 and #2 and let them compete. Ijalana looked really good. Of course this was Div II, but he dominated.
    Can he do that in the NFL?
    If he can, he will be pretty good

7. Rick says:

It was pretty obvious that Jerry was trying to trade down. Why else would he have taken 9 ½ minutes. I have to wonder why he wouldn’t have accepted that offer from Jacksonville, who, given that they traded their 1st and 2nd for #10, obviously would’ve traded their 1st and 2nd for #9. Maybe Tyron Smith would’ve been gone, and thank God they didn’t take Nate freaking Solder, but another second round pick would be pretty nice. I’d love to come out of the round with any combination of Martez Wilson, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Rahim Moore, Brooks Reed, and Ben Ijalana.

8. Really quick before I head off…Yeah, it would have been nice to move down, but we also have to be happy we got a great player with huge upside. Listen to the kid’s conference call on DC.com and I think you’ll see he is going to be a hard-worker. May not have been a PERFECT scenario, but imagine if we moved down and picked Solder. Smith is the right guy for Dallas.

I told my wife I’m gonna work on staying positive so let me do so…

Tyron Smith is a decent pick. Not the greatest but given Dallas’ recent draft success (2008 excepted), this is a decent start.

10. Trent says:

who the heck is bruce carter?

it seems like the boys wanted to draft gimpy linebackers in the 2nd round 2 years in a row…

what’s with JJ actually drafting in his own slots instead of wheeling and dealing

11. Knowbody says:

It goes to show you guys dont watch college games..Come on, who was the fool that asked who is Bruce Carter. Are you kidding dude???