A look at the Eagles’ talented 2012 rookie class
At DallasCowboys.com, I took a statistical look at the Eagles’ 2012 rookie draft class.
- RB Bryce Brown
1: Number of starts Bryce Brown has made since high school.
Prior to Monday night’s game against the Panthers, Brown’s last start came as a member of the Wichita East High School football team. He attended the University of Tennessee, where he backed up Montario Hardesty, before transferring to Kansas State. He played in only 14 collegiate games.
31.1: Brown’s Body Mass Index.
Many of you are familiar with Body Mass Index (BMI), but did you know that there’s a pretty strongcorrelation between BMI and running back success in the NFL? Historically, great running backs have tended to be somewhat short and very stocky, packing a ton of muscle onto frames with a low center of gravity. Emmitt Smith (31.7 BMI), LaDainian Tomlinson (31.7 BMI), Barry Sanders (30.9 BMI), and Marshall Faulk (30.3 BMI) all had body types similar to Brown’s.
4.48: Brown’s 40-yard dash time.
Brown’s body type alone can’t predict his future NFL success, but his combination of size and speed sure suggests he should be an effective running back. In terms of his measurables alone, he’s very similar to Tomlinson.
6.3: Brown’s current yards per carry (YPC).
Brown has been highly efficient as a rookie, averaging 6.3 YPC on 51 attempts. That number was still respectable at 4.4 YPC prior to Monday night. That’s important because rookie rushing efficiency is highly predictive of future NFL success. Of rookies with as many carries as Brown, only four since 1980 have posted greater efficiency.
Read the rest at the team site.
- Tony Romo’s 2012 Fantasy Value: Why You Should Grab the Cowboys’ Quarterback An in-depth look at Tony Romo's fantasy value in 2012...
- Running the Numbers: More Cowboys-Eagles Film Study Stats My latest Running the Numbers entry analyzes some more stats...
- Two Key Matchups for Cowboys vs Eagles At NBC, I posted a breakdown of two matchups to...
- Defensive Game Plan for Cowboys vs Eagles Yesterday, I posted an offensive game plan for the Cowboys...
- Running the Numbers: Things Looking Up in Cowboys’ Backfield Rookie running backs, Julius Jones, and DeMarco Murray...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.