How Cowboys Can Keep Pace with Redskins’ Offense
At DallasCowboys.com, I broke down the Redskins’ offense and how Dallas can stop it.
Redskins’ Rushing Offense
At 5.1 yards per carry (YPC), the Redskins rank third in the NFL in rushing efficiency. Led by rookies Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris, Washington is actually an even better rushing team than their YPC suggests. By breaking down all running plays in terms of the “expected points” a team can expect to score on a given drive before and after a play, it’s possible to account for specific game situations. A 2-yard run on first-and-10 is a negative for an offense, it decreases expected points, whereas a 2-yard gain on fourth-and-1 dramatically increases expected points.
Washington ranks first in the NFL in expected points added from their running game at 37.4, well ahead of every other team. To give you a sense of just how dominant the Redskins’ rushing attack has been in 2012, consider that only seven teams in the entire NFL have even created positive expected points with their running games.
Check it out at the team site.
And at NBC, I took a look at three key matchups for the Cowboys’ offense.
WR Dez Bryant/Miles Austin versus CB DeAngelo Hall/Josh Wilson
It’s almost a foregone conclusion that Bryant will have a big game this week. The receiver has now scored in seven straight games, including three contests with two touchdowns. Bryant’s 23.3 percent touchdown rate over that time is phenomenal. Meanwhile, Redskins cornerbacks Hall and Wilson have both allowed at least 9.55 YPA and a 93.3 passer rating. Wilson has yielded six touchdowns and Hall a 69.6 percent completion rate.
Perhaps more important, Wilson and Hall have given up 463 and 366 yards-after-catch, respectively, ranking them as the worst and fourth-worst cornerbacks in the entire NFL. With the size and run-after-catch ability the Cowboys have with Austin and Bryant outside, look for the rate of quick screens to continue to increase.
Check out NBC for the full article.
- Cowboys vs Redskins: Offensive Game Plan for Dallas I just published an offensive game plan for the Cowboys...
- Running the Numbers: Cowboys-Redskins Film Study I took another look at the Cowboys’ big Thanksgiving loss...
- Cowboys vs. Ravens: Baltimore’s Offense By the Numbers At DallasCowboys.com, I took a look at the Ravens’ offensive...
- How to Stop the Saints’ Prolific Offense The Saints aren’t a particularly good team right now, but...
- 4 Key Matchups for Cowboys’ Offense vs Seahawks in Week 2 In what feels like an obvious trap game for the...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.