Cowboys Should Run Outside More Often
At NBC, I explained why I think the Cowboys should run outside of the tackles more often.
Whether running to the left or right, Jason Garrett preferred to keep it inside in general in 2012. The Cowboys ran outside of the tackles only 89 times all year, representing just over one-quarter of their rushes. But why? Below, I’ve broken down the Cowboys’ 2012 rushes into a few different categories in an attempt to discover how much risk and upside running to specific areas of the field holds.
Runs Inside Tackles: 237
- Negative Runs: 21 (8.9 percent)
- Five-Plus Yards: 68 (28.7 percent)
- 10-Plus Yards: 13 (5.5 percent)
- 15-Plus Yards: 6 (2.5 percent)
Runs Outside Tackles: 89
- Negative Runs: 15 (16.9 percent)
- Five-Plus Yards: 33 (37.1 percent)
- 10-plus Yards: 8 (9.0 percent)
- 15-plus Yards: 4 (4.5 percent)
Check out the whole article at NBC.