Running the Numbers: Analyzing Average Size of Monte Kiffin’s Past Players
At DallasCowboys.com, I took a look at the “prototypical” defender at each position in Monte Kiffin’s 4-3 defense based on players he’s had over the years.
1-DT: 6’3’’ 304 pounds
As mentioned, the 1-technique tackle is a strong presence in the inside, but he also has to be nimble enough to shoot up field.
Cowboys’ fit: Jay Ratliff (6’4’’ 303 pounds) matches Kiffin’s prototypical player at this position to a tee. The issue is whether or not the Cowboys can afford to continue to pay Ratliff the big bucks.Sean Lissemore (6’3’’ 303 pounds) also fits the bill.
3-DT: 6’2’’ 285 pounds
The 3-technique defensive tackle is much smaller than the 1-technique. Also note that, at an average of just 6’2’’, the 3-technique is shorter than the defensive ends.
Cowboys’ fit: This position in particular is difficult to project for the Cowboys. Jason Hatcher could potentially play any position along the defensive line, although at 6’6’’ 305 pounds, he’s much taller and heavier than the typically short, light tackles Kiffin has used in the past. Tyrone Crawford (6’4’’ 285 pounds) will probably play defensive end, but he also could have some versatility.
DE (Strong): 6’3’’ 279 pounds
Kiffin has typically used a very large, bulky player to man his strong-side defensive end position.
Cowboys’ fit: If there’s evidence that the Cowboys could let Anthony Spencer walk, this might be it. At 250 pounds, Spencer doesn’t come anywhere near matching the profile of Kiffin’s past ends. As mentioned above, Crawford checks in around this size, but his pass-rushing ability is a question.
Check it out at the team site.
- Grading the Monte Kiffin Hire At Dallas News, I graded the hire of defensive coordinator...
- Running the Numbers: Cowboys’ 5 Most Underrated Players Rating the Cowboys' five most underrated players...
- Running the Numbers: Top 5 Most Crucial Players on Dallas Cowboys The Cowboys' five most crucial pieces in 2012...
- Running the Numbers: Why Anthony Spencer Will Have a Career-High in Sacks Why Anthony Spencer is set to have a career year...
- Running the Numbers: Cowboys’ Top 5 Individual Seasons of Last Decade Breaking down the top five individual seasons of the Cowboys'...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.