Cowboys’ Potential Draft Picks: RB Giovani Bernard and OT Menelik Watson
My latest scouting reports are on UNC running back Giovani Bernard and Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson. On Bernard:
UNC running back Giovani Bernard tore his ACL in 2010 in just the third practice of his college career. He rebounded in 2011 with 1,253 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman. In 2012, Bernard displayed his versatility by rushing for 1,228 yards, catching 47 passes, and leading the ACC in punt return average.
Bernard is a small, compact runner at 5-8, 202 pounds. Is he too small to handle the load in the NFL? Some might say that’s the case, but the days of true workhorse running backs are just about over. Bernard can easily handle 15 to 20 touches a game and he’ll give you value as a receiver and return man.
As a runner, Bernard is shifty and decisive. He doesn’t possess elite straight-line speed (4.53 in the 40-yard dash), but he’s extremely quick. Bernard’s 4.12 short-shuttle time ranked fourth among running backs at the Combine. He’s much faster laterally than moving forward.
See the whole scouting report at Dallas Morning News.
Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson is a native of Manchester, England and came to the United States to pursue basketball. After a brief stint as a boxer, Watson decided to play football for Saddlebrook Junior College in California. He transferred to Florida State in 2012, and after just two years playing the sport, Watson declared for the 2013 NFL Draft.
If Watson had more experience, he could potentially be the top offensive tackle in this class. He’s a big, strong player, using his 6-5, 310-pound frame to drive defenders off of the ball. Watson’s 34-inch arms are plenty long enough to play offensive tackle.
Watson is a natural athlete who appears light on his feet. He drops into pass protection with ease and displays excellent balance almost all of the time. He’s a knee-bender and uses his superior athleticism to mirror defenders rather easily.
- Cowboys’ Potential Draft Picks: RB Knile Davis, DT Jesse Williams My two latest scouting reports are on Arkansas running back...
- Potential Cowboys Draft Picks: Barkevious Mingo, Johnathan Hankins, Sharrif Floyd I recently broke down three more potential draft picks for...
- Cowboys’ Potential Draft Picks: Barrett Jones and Kawann Short My two latest scouting reports are on Alabama center Barrett...
- Potential Cowboys 2013 Draft Picks: Jonathan Cooper and Alex Okafor At NBC, I posted a scouting report on a guard...
- Potential Cowboys Picks: Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Fisher At Dallas News, I explained my methodology when assessing prospects....
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.