We just participated in a conference call with Jerry Rice. He had something interesting things to say about Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and playing against the Dallas Cowboys.
A few quotes from Jerry:
- “I always thought Jim Brown was the greatest running back and football player ever.”
- “When I hear people say, ‘Jerry, you are the greatest player to ever play the game,’ it scares me. I never looked at it that way.”
- “I’m honored to be going into the Hall with Emmitt Smith.”
- (regarding possible 18-game season) “I was happy to play 16 games. I felt good. I was always healthy because I worked so hard in the offseason to get myself ready for the long-haul.”
- “I used to watch Michael Irvin. If he had a great game, I would look at his stats and keep up with him. I think it is great for the NFL to have rivalries like that.”
- “When the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers met, it was like Boston and the Lakers. I have a lot of respect for Emmitt and the Dallas Cowboys.”