How to Claim an Inheritance Without a Will

The death of a loved one or other member of the family is painful to accept and a challenging time to go through. But you still have to go through the practical and legal actions. Some of these legal steps can be simple, but some can be complicated, time-consuming and may also contain some legal problems. Regardless of these, if your loved one or a family member has died, then becoming familiar with the following crucial  steps can help you.


Furthermore, the proper method of dealing with a deceased person’s affairs is commonly known as estate settlement or settling an estate to get the Inheritance Estate. If you have specific questions about the laws in your area then you should always talk to a skilled estate or a probate attorney.

Search for Forms

The courts will provide you with the required forms to fill out if the estate generally qualifies for a straightforward disposition. If you contact the clerk of court in the county where the deceased lived, you will find the forms you need. However, these forms may be available through some jurisdictions online website. Moreover, all the heirs will have to swear in the form that the dead person has no other testament or loan. Next, you must list all the property of the deceased and recommend how the property should be shared among the heirs.


You may be required to submit a sworn statement or additional affidavit to someone who is not the heir of your estate; it depends entirely on your state’s rules. Furthermore, when you use a simplified procedure, you will only need the contract of all the heirs of the deceased unlike the full legal process for which an executor must be hired.


Consider Consulting an Attorney 

The simplified process is designed in a way that you don’t need an attorney, but you can still get the help of an attorney to prepare your original forms. Filling out a form does not require any specific legal expertise, but an attorney can ensure that someone completes the form correctly and make sure whether you have included all the information and documents needed legally, etc.


You can find out how much you have to spend on hiring an attorney from the services of your local legal aid office. You can even find a low-cost or free of cost attorney service if there is a law school clinic nearby. Also, you can find experienced probate attorneys that are willing to reduce their charges for viewing your prepared documents.


File Your Forms

After you fill out your required forms, you should submit to the probate court clerk in the county where the late person resides. Moreover, certain documents related to these forms, such as funeral expenses or death certificates may be required to be obtained by the court.

However, you will need to make a filing fee to appeal for the simplified administration of the deceased’s estate in the court. Also, you will be entitled to all the property of the dead person,  if the late person has any other property except.


Receive Your Order from the Probate Court

The judge of the probate court will issue the order as you have specified in your form to distribute the estate of the heirs so that everyone gets all the property equally. The main reason for using simplified procedures is that the probate court does not have to deal with the long and complicated functionality, and also you do not have to distribute your wealth following the intestate succession laws of the state. Furthermore, when a person dies without a document, then the government usually handles those assets.


Distribute the Estate According to the Order

The transfers of ownership of the estate property to the heirs you submit in your application to the court and the order from the court affected this document. If a real property disposes of your application, you must record the order with the materials at the county recorder’s office to return the property. Thus, this order may not adequately regulate the legal transfer of specific ownership, such as vehicles. But, when you receive new registrations and tags for your inherited vehicles,  so you can use this order as a proof of ownership transfer.


About Dwight V. Bartholomew

View all posts by Dwight V. Bartholomew →